Fast Track Public Art Project
Call for Maryland Artists
The City of Hagerstown seeks an artist to create permanent outdoor sculpture(s) for an audience of all ages on the new Hagerstown Cultural Trail. Works should be completed or well underway by Fall 2018. The total budget for the work is $10,000. The call is open to artists living in Maryland only. This artist call is presented in partnership with the Washington County Arts Council.
Criteria: In their application materials, the applicant should demonstrate:
- Artistic or design excellence and technical merit
- Experience in permanent exterior sculpture/architecture/engineering
- Responsiveness to community context and the Trail’s design intent, as well as long-term durability and sustainability
- A proven ability to fabricate their work or to work with fabricators and installers at a scale appropriate to this artwork
- The ability to meet Durability and Maintenance Criteria as delineated in this call, if applicable
The City is committed to excellence in environmental stewardship and in sustainable building practices and encourages Artists interested in sustainable design to consider applying for these artworks.
The Selection Panel plans to invite about three finalists for interviews, which can take place either in person or via videoconference (e.g., Skype).
The majority of the members of the Selection Panel will consist of art and design professionals, including curators, architects, and professional artists. Juries may also include representatives of the City of Hagerstown, the Washington County Arts Council, stakeholder organizations, and community members. The City Engineer will serve as an advisor to the Selection Panel.
What to Submit:
Upload the following files to WCAC’s DropBox (https://www.dropbox.com/request/VxYalbc2xw8rJLV8XDLf):
- A brief statement, in PDF or Word format, not to exceed two pages, describing:
- Three professional references with current contact information, in PDF or Word format
- A Slide Script (image list) that includes for each work the title, year, dimensions, the medium or material, the names of any other artists involved, and a one sentence description, budgets, date of work, in PDF or Word format
- An artist resume of no more than two pages, at a minimum 10-point type size, with current contact information, in PDF or Word format
- Up to 6 labeled digital images of related past work related to this call:
jpeg file format only
The deadline for applications is 3/7/18 at 5 pm EST. Maryland artists only!
The project prefers to receive applications through the Washington County Arts Council’s Dropbox folder “Interactive Sculpture – Maryland Artists” using this link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/VxYalbc2xw8rJLV8XDLf
Detailed instructions are included in the call.
Mailed or hand-delivered submissions will be accepted by the Washington County Arts Council at 34 South Potomac Street, Hagerstown, Maryland, 21740. These submissions will be considered, as long as:
- they comply with all submission requirements above and include a CD or thumb drive of digital images.
- they are received by 5 PM on 3/7/18 – This is not a postmark deadline!
instructions will not be considered.
Mailed materials cannot be returned.
Download, read, and return all completed documents:
Washington County Arts Council
ATTN: Chris Brewer, Gallery Manager
34 S. Potomac Street, Suite 100
Hagerstown, MD 21740