Call For Entry: CREATING CONNECTIONS
A Commission & Print Replication Project
Application Deadline: Tuesday September 2nd, 2014
Maryland Art Place (MAP), in partnership with CyberPoint International is pleased to announce an open ‘Call to Artists’. As an extension of MAP’s annual IMPRINT Project, MAP is working with CyberPoint to offer a unique opportunity to female visual artists of the greater Baltimore metropolitan area. Collectively, MAP and CyberPoint wish to commission a new work of art as well as license the image of that new work of art. The image of that artwork will be reproduced in a limited edition and presented to the guests of CyberPoint’s Women in Cyber Security reception on October 29th, 2014.
ABOUT “CREATING CONNECTIONS”: We live in a time where cyberspace has become inextricably linked to the lives of individuals and organizations of all kinds. Cyberspace is the medium of global commerce and communication, and it is one of the most important factors in the social, political, and technological changes we see occurring today. CyberPoint works to create a future where individuals and organizations from across the globe can operate safely and securely in cyberspace and benefit from the technological innovations that increasingly connect our world.
As the aim of CyberPoint’s reception is to facilitate connections among women working in cyber security, they are commissioning a work that reflects the theme of “creating connections.” Inherent in the idea of connections is the idea of networks—social networks, computer networks and support networks—which may be an important point of departure for creating the commissioned work. This commission is open to submissions from women artists living and working in the greater Baltimore metropolitan area.
General Guidelines & Information
• MAP only accepts 2-d works for reproduction – photography, painting, mixed media or similar welcomed.
• All works must be no less than 4 X 4” and no more than 10 X 10”.
• The reproduction edition will be decided on, and agreed upon at a later date, but will not exceed 120.
• All reproductions will receive a ‘chop or seal’ noting CyberPoint as the publisher.
• All reproductions will be printed on an agreed upon archival fine art paper, expense absorbed by CyberPoint.
• **Artist agrees to not reproduce the selected artwork at the agreed upon dimensions of this project as this will devalue the edition. Likewise, CyberPoint agrees not to reproduce the image after the edition has ended.
• CyberPoint will cover scanning fees/photography associated with the reproduction.
• Artist agrees to use of artwork image for press and promotional purposes related to this project and event.
• Artist will remain owner of image copyright.
• Artist is invited to attend the Women in Cyber Security reception on October 29th, 2014.
Benefits to the artist:
The selected artist will benefit in the following ways
• $750 Cash Award
• Increased visibility of artist’s name and artwork through:
• Press announcements
• Highlighted on MAP and CyberPoint’s websites
• The gifting of artist reproduction to attendees of the Women in Cyber Security reception
• Acknowledgement at Women in Cyber Security reception October 29th, 2014
To apply please see the following application and required attachments. Please send your application to email@example.com by close of business Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014
Submit application fee here through Click&Pledge. Please click HERE to Download the application.
Thursday, August 7, 2014 -Call for Entry
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 -Application Deadline
Week of September 8, 2014 -Selected Artist Contacted – letters released to all other artists
Sept. 15 – Oct. 10, 2014 -Artist to create work
Friday, October 10, 2014 -MAP and CyberPoint representatives to visit artist studio
Week of October 14, 2014 -Reproduction paper selected
Wednesday, October 29, 2014 -Women in Cyber Security Reception!
About the Women in Cyber Security Reception
In conjunction with the CyberMaryland Conference, CyberPoint International will be hosting its inaugural Women in Cyber Security Reception on October 29, 2014. Bringing together women from across the region and all different points on the career spectrum, this event will be an opportunity to get together and share what we are all passionate about—empowering women to succeed in the cyber security field.
Leaders from industry, academia, and government can reconnect and strengthen existing relationships while building new ones. Those just starting out in their careers have the chance to meet the technical and business professionals who are shaping the future of cyber security. This invitation-only event will be held at the CyberPoint Technology & Innovation Center (CTIC) overlooking Baltimore’s Inner Harbor.
CyberPoint & the Arts
CyberPoint believes that having a thriving arts community is critical to the future of Baltimore City and the state of Maryland—the place they have made their home. “Artists challenge the way we see and think about the world, and about ourselves—without this, we don’t learn, and we don’t grow; their work brings about new ideas, changes attitudes, and shapes culture—without this, we stagnate. The arts community is a wellspring of imagination and creativity—this is the fuel of innovation. The arts contribute immeasurably to the world we see around us, and to our quality of life—this creates a vibrant culture that attracts new residents, businesses, and sustains those that have already made their home here. We believe the arts are invaluable and want our employees and their families to live and work in a visually and intellectually vibrant city for decades to come.” ~ CyberPoint team