The Contemporary is excited to announce an inaugural Artist Retreat, to take place at the Pearlstone Center from Thursday, August 4th to Sunday, August 7th. The Contemporary will convene 50 Baltimore artists and 25 national arts consultants including critics, curators, gallerists, and collectors, for three days of intensive professional development, community building, and networking. The retreat is free for all selected artists and includes transportation to and from the center, lodging, and all meals.
Artists currently residing in Baltimore City and Baltimore County are invited to submit an application on Submittable. Participating artists will be selected to attend the retreat based on the following criteria:
- an interest in expanding artistic networks;
- a need to access professional development resources;
- a desire to share one’s practice with a broader audience;
- a demonstrated commitment to Baltimore’s arts community.
Participating artists will be required to:
- be open, present, and willing to act as a resource to fellow artists at the retreat and beyond—positive vibes only;
- attend all scheduled sessions and remain on site for the entirety of the retreat;
- introduce one’s practice in a six minute public presentation to fellow retreat guests;
- complete a survey and submit to museum staff before September 1, 2016.
Applications will close at 11:59 pm on Monday, June 13th. There is a $15.00 application fee which supports The Contemporary’s ongoing work to build resources for artists in Baltimore. Please contact us at email@example.com if you are interested in applying but are unable to pay the fee. This retreat supports our mission by affirming that artists are invaluable to society and are worthy of professional, scholarly, and financial investment. It is generously supported by the Robert W. Deutsch Foundation and Surdna Foundation. Additional information can be found here.