Sentiments Winter Inspired Work December 2014 Call for Art
Mail Checks Attention to Erin McElroy, Lakeside Legacy Foundation
401 Country Club Road, Crystal Lake, IL 60014
Submit works that evoke emotion of the winter season, a memory of a gift received/opened or one you once gave. Reflections from a poem, word, or lyric/verse that captures the ‘sentiments’ of the season can be reflected in the submission to the ‘Winter Reflections/Sentiments’ call for art. One to three works from each applicant, applications will be juried and selected. The jury encourages artists to submit work(s) that express/interpret the theme through their own unique lens and definition of ‘Winter Sentiments’. We are looking for the exhibit to compliment the holiday season, winter months, and bring some warmth and happiness to the Lakeside Legacy Foundation. Entry deadline is October 27th.
All two dimensional works are encouraged, mediums may be varied. Artists should be aware that there are considerable Holiday decorations such as trees, garland, and plants. No decorations will cover work, but will be throughout the historic property. The Sage Gallery at Lakeside is located within the 1922 annex (once the original country club) now the arts park main gallery.
Accepted work will be a part of the December 5th First Friday from 5pm-8pm. The exhibit will be publicly displayed from December 5th – 22nd. This juried exhibit joins a time honored Christmas at the Dole holiday experience on December 5th that boasts attendance between 300-500 people.
This gallery opening on 12/5/14 includes complimentary appetizers provided to guests by Lakeside Legacy Foundation and a cash bar. Lakeside jointly markets with all accepted artists to promote this event. Marketing includes press releases, fliers, social media, postcards, etc. Each individual artist is expected to co-promote the event. Art sales are encouraged and the installation agreement details the 30% commission to Lakeside on any art sale. Sales tax is added to the final price of the art, and artist must submit pricing that includes the 30% commission amount. The application fee is $30 non-refundable fee. All accepted artists are required to complete a gallery agreement/contract and hold harmless. Artists who sell work must fill out a W9 form before art sales payment checks will be issued. Lakeside Legacy Foundation can take cash, check and credit cards for art sales.
Applications require 1-3 works of 2D art. Jury must receive the actual images you want reviewed for the showcase. Please submit professional/high resolution images for the jury to review. JPG must be titled, include actual dimension of work, and accurate orientation of the image. Original work, no prints.
· Lakeside works with rotating sets of jurors to choose work for each event. Incomplete entries will not be considered nor refunded.
· Entry fee is nonrefundable or transferable.
· Accepted works must be hand delivered Lakeside Legacy.
· Foundation accepts no responsibility for unpacking. No shipments will be received.
· The artwork installation date for accepted artists is Monday, December 1st from 9am-5pm. Lakeside will work in conjunction with the artist to install work.
· The take down date is Monday, December 22nd from 9am-5pm and artists will pick up their work at Lakeside. If artwork is not picked up by the agreed upon date a $75 storage fee per day will be assessed.
· Work must come prepared and ready to install. Prepared work must be framed and wired (no saw tooth).
· If not framed, mounted and matted and wired on the back.
· A label must be affixed to the back of the artwork with the artist’s name, work title, and sale price.
· Artwork must be professionally presented.
· Title card should be on card stock no larger than 4in. x 4in.
· Artists must also include a printed artist statement presentation ready. Can be printed on card stock or framed/mounted. Artist statement can’t be larger than 8in x10in.
· Please provide any special hanging requirements
· “1st Fridays” and the curator reserve the right to reject any artwork that is deemed unsuitable including but not exclusive of work not ready to hang, unprofessional presentation, concern for condition of the piece, representation different than jpg or space availability.
· Additional artist insights, quotes, or inspirations, business cards, or exhibit theme descriptions can be framed, mounted, and included into the exhibit if mutually agreed upon by Artist and Lakeside representative.
· The Sage Gallery system is the Walker Hanging System.
· Please download the floor plan site system to review the gallery walls and hanging system examples.
· Substitutions of artwork are not allowed.
· All accepted work that is for sale will be subject to a 30% commission if sold. Artists must submit at W9 before any sales checks will be issued. If not for sale, a title card must be included that states the work is not for sale or a part of a private collection.
· Accepted artists must provide a price sheet that includes the title of the piece, size, and cost including the 30% commission fee.
· Although “1st Fridays” and Lakeside Legacy Foundation will make every reasonable effort to protect your work while it is in our possession, we are not legally responsible for it. Therefore, please consider insuring your work while it is in our possession.
· Submitted artwork may be used for exhibition purposes and publicity.
· Artists are encouraged to attend the 12/5/14 art show from 5pm-8pm, market the event, and if unable to attend send a representative to the art show.
· Accepted artists must sign a gallery agreement and hold harmless form that outlines exhibit specific information, guidelines, and details about the First Friday art show and installation and art take-down.
· Artists are responsible for insuring their own work and/or equipment, taking down their own work, and providing labels/artist statement for their work.
· Artist to accept full and total responsibility for all items/entries and agree to hold harmless the Lakeside Legacy Foundation, its officers, directors, sponsors, patrons, tenants, volunteers and its individual members from any liability or responsibility for any damage or loss to my person or any and all artwork submitted by the artist and so exhibited or in any way connected with the First Friday art show or the timeframe the work in on display.
· USE OF NAME APPROVAL: Artist must submit, prior to use, proofs for any/all materials where the Legacy name and/or logo is used to market Artist show, exhibit, art sales of First Friday art show. Legacy will supply digital art and strict guidelines for its use, upon request.
· A cancellation will result in a $30 fee to Lakeside Legacy Foundation. I have read this Agreement. I understand my responsibilities and agree to the conditions stated herein and on any required Addendum to this Agreement. A cancellation my also result in the artist being unable to apply to showcase for future events or art shows.