THE EXHIBITIONS PROGRAM AT AAC SUPPORTS THE WORK OF EMERGING CONTEMPORARY ARTISTS IN THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION THROUGH OUR SOLOS EXHIBITIONS.
Exhibition proposals are reviewed by jurors who then make recommendations on exhibitions for inclusion in SOLOS. The 2017-18 jurors are: Kate Haw, Director fo the Smithsonian Institution’s Archives of American Art and Mika Yoshitake, Assistant Curator at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.
WHAT ARE THE SOLOS?
Each year, artists from across the Mid-Atlantic are selected for solo exhibitions to take place in one of AAC’s seven separate gallery spaces, or outside on the grounds resulting in an exceptional suite of cutting-edge exhibitions featuring art in variety of media. Proposals that specifically take into account AAC’s space, layout, and surrounding environs are encouraged.
WHO CAN SUBMIT?
Artists who produce contemporary art in any media, and who live or work in Virginia; Washington, DC; Maryland; West Virginia; Delaware; or Pennsylvania may submit exhibition proposals. Any existing works must have been completed within the last 3 years in order to be considered.
HOW DO WE CHOOSE?
Submissions will be reviewed by jurors who are curators, artists, and arts professionals.
WHEN IS THE DEADLINE? March 13, 2017, midnight.
DETAILS OF PARTICIPATION
Arlington Arts Center will:
• Provide a small stipend to support participating artists
• Provide artistic and curatorial support to the artists
• Offer insurance for the artwork in AAC space
• Publicize the exhibition using postcards, social media, blog postings, and press outreach
• Assist with the conception and implementation of the overall exhibition design, including artwork placement, signage, and lighting.
• Provide labor and materials to install and deinstall the artwork;
• Transport the work to and from AAC; and
• Participate in the opening reception and other events.